5/14/06

How to Stop Being Judgmental (Part 1)

I try very hard not to be judgmental. I try very hard not to notice the many foibles, idiosyncrasies and chosen pastimes of my fellow man. Like the gal I knew whose dog went to therapy to help tame his ‘aggressive tendencies.’ Apparently, Fido missed his mommy who had to go out and work every day. So, while she was gone, he would attack the other dog, bite into furniture and generally be disagreeable. To remedy this, my friend took her dog to therapy where Fido was prescribed Prozac. That’s, right, Therapy. And Prozac! For a dog.

I try very hard not to be judgmental (did I mention that?), so, when she told me her story, I diligently tried to sympathize. I tried to see it from her dog’s point of view. I thought about how attached her dog obviously was to her and how it must be breaking his doggy heart to be parted each day from his master. I tried to see it from my friend’s point of view. I thought about the cost and worry my friend had to bear in order to get her dog the help he so desperately needed. And, when I finally could find no other point of view with which to sympathize, I settled on my own. I thought, ‘This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard!’ A dog. On Prozac. And then I proceeded to share her story with friends, family members and strangers at the airport. My story would always end with ‘some people are way too attached to their pets.’

Funny? Yes. Christ-like? No. I told this story and other embarrassing stories about my friends so often, that I finally had to confront myself. What the heck was I doing? Why did I think it was okay to sit in judgment of other people? Sure, I had half-heartedly attempted to sympathize with this friend and others, but, in the final analysis, some part of my brain told me I had the right to pass judgment on them and their behavior. And I chose to listen to this voice instead of doing what I knew to be right – saying nothing and feeling true compassion for my friends. I confronted myself and realized that I needed to change. So I made it my mission to, first, find out why I was doing and second, make myself stop.

Number one, why was I doing it? I knew what the Bible said. Jesus said in Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” So, clearly, as a Christian, I should not judge other people. And, then, to drive his point home, Jesus went on to say “For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” So, not only was it wrong for me to judge other people, but those other people would judge me just as harshly. Bummer, I thought. But I persevered. I pondered long and hard about why I kept doing it. Knowing it was wrong and knowing the consequences hadn’t been enough – there had to be some other reason why.

After several days spend in deep soul searching and prayer, I finally figured it out. I realized that the reason I judged other people so harshly was because I judged everything harshly. I realized that nothing ever lived up to my expectations. Not just other people’s behavior, but my own behavior, work policies, the car I drove, my writing attempts, the cost of living going up every year. Whatever. Whatever it was or whatever it concerned, I was not happy about it! And I finally realized that judging other people was really just a symptom of a much deeper problem with me – my overly critical nature.



, , , , ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonya. I really like this post. For me, this is kind of the other way around. I'm being judged by someone important...my fiance's mother. I've been with my fiance for 6 years. His mom lives in another state, so I've been with her about 10 times for various lenghts of time over the last 6 years. I'm a naturally shy and somewhat soft-spoken person, and she is boisterous and outgoing (and a tad judgmental). I've tried hard to get to know her, to open up to her and communicate with her. She always seems, however, to find a reason to have disdain for me. She thinks of me as weak and that her son has had to "rescue" me. Nothing could be further from the truth! I am an independent person with my own career and life; I am a responsible adult. I just can't understand why she chooses to dislike me. For the record, she's never liked any of my fiance's other girlfriends either. I guess my real question is, how do I deal with my emothions regarding this? I try to give it over to God and know that He accepts me even if everyone in the world rejects me, and I try to be happy anyway. But it's so hurtful to know that this woman I've tried so hard to develop a relationship with just refuses to accept me as I am. She wants me to fit in to her little box idea of what a person should be and I just don't fit. Nothing I do is good enough for her. I'm always nice and polite and friendly but I'm still doing something wrong apparently. My fiance supports me and defends me, but I just wish I could make everything ok. Thanks for listening. Monica

Sonya Triggs-Wharton said...

Monica:

I feel for you. I've experienced many circumstances where I was definitely not the most liked person in the room!

What should you do? The first thing is to pray for your fiance's mother. Real, sincere prayer - as if she was your own mother (which, in a sense, she will be). Praying for her will enable God to fully work with her. And it will allow God to have complete control of the situation. And, it will also allow you to see your fiance's mother for who she really is - a hurting individual. It is obvious she has her own dilemmas and issues (she could just be afraid of 'losing' her son) and needs someone who is truly in her corner rooting for her.

Ultimately, her 'disdain' for you has everything to do with her and little to do with you. It will help you once you realize she is just another person in need of help - and by extending yourself in prayer, love and friendship, you have completely done all you are called upon to do. It doesn't mean that you should allow her to 'walk all over you' in any sense, but the Bible does admonish us to get along with others to the absolute extent to which we are capable. Give her your best and you can do no more.

I'll be praying for you.

Let me know how it goes....

Anonymous said...

Sonya, this is the first time I've seen this site. I have become aware lately that I am all too often being judgemental and critical toward others, and maybe self-righteous, especially toward those I love. It hurts me to think I've been that way. I don't want to hurt others. I want God's love to be seen in me. I want others to be drawn to Jesus, and I don't want to be a hinderence to them. I found out lately that my daughter thinks I do not love her unconditionally. I never knew she felt that way. I know I do love her unconditionally but somehow I have caused her to not feel it. It breaks my heart because above anything else, I want my family to be able to see and sense God's love in me for Him and for them and others. I want to live closer to God and I desire that my family be close to God and ready for the Lord's coming. Maybe I am being too pushy. I am praying about this. Thank you so much for this site and what you are doing to help others. This post has been a blessing to me. Thanks again!! ~B

trevor said...

I too came to this chilling conclusions today while pondering my inability to be comfortable around strangers in social circles. This has been a huge road black in my life and my spiritual walk with the Lord. I hadn't even given it much thought that I myself have been doing things wrong in my attempt at finding a resolve. I would give hard way into religious practice and completely ignore the principle at hand, and that was my critical and judgmental nature that sadly has been a huge part of me since I can last remember. To say I will change over night is a wishful idea but I do know with God all things are possible and He will have my back in making better choices with myself and people. Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

What a great post.
I wonder if you found out how to overcome your "overly critical nature" as you put it. I realized I am in the same situation and as another commenter said, I am also having trouble feeling comfortable in social situations. I try to see the good in life but it is hard when your brain only wants to see the bad. How do you change your brain? It's hard! I pray and pray and pray and beg God for help but I never feel a response. Im scared.

Hong Sung Min said...

Hi Miss. I liked your post. I am a 16 year old adolescent. I underwent such struggle also. Before, I thought I could never trust anyone outside my family. I thought that all people are the same -- they play nice and later on betray you. But, when I found my true friends in college, I realized I was wrong. I guess I could really trust others. So, right now, I begin to change my perspective of others. Instead of being too cynical, I choose to give other people who look or act bad a chance to prove themselves. I promised that I will no longer judge this mocker and that I won't take his taunts as the sole aspect of his personality. I will try to look more into his good side. I guess, egocentrism caused me to take a negative approach of others. So, this time, I promised to myself that I'll start believing the bright perspectives that I have always doubted. I have always payed attention to the pessimistic views. Now, it's the turn of the opposite side.

Anonymous said...

A dog on prozac doesn't seem any dumber to me than a person on christianity. Maybe you don't have any reason to look down on anybody.