5/16/06

How to Stop Thinking Too Much

Matthew 6:25-27 (NIV)

25. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes? 26. Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27. Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

How much time do you spend over-thinking? I know - we don’t like to think of it that way. We call it analyzing, meditating, ‘figuring things out’ and other euphemisms that cover up what we are really doing: thinking too much. How do you know when you’ve over-thought something? Here are some signs – 1. You can’t get that problem or situation out of your mind; 2. As much thought as you’ve given to it, it still does not make sense to you or 3. You still haven’t figured out what to do. If you find yourself experiencing any of these things, you have probably given something way too much thought.

Why do we do it? God equipped us with minds because we need to be able to ‘figure out' some things for ourselves. Our minds were meant to be the logical conduit that connected spirit to body. Our spirits know, our minds think and our bodies act. But many times we find that our mind is trying to control this triumvirate. We may pray about some things, but we think about all things. Somewhere, in the back of our minds, we are convinced that if we spend enough time problem-solving and analyzing, we will figure it all out. Well, let me set your mind at rest about one thing at least: YOU WILL NEVER HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT. So stop trying. Now take a deep breath. Rest your mind. And get ready to move on.

We will never have it all figured out, simply because God did not make the world, in all its many implications and variations, easy enough for you or me to ‘figure out’. There is only one All-Knowing, All-Wise, All-Seeing One and I’ll give you a hint who that is: it isn't you or me. But this is not cause for despair. As a matter of fact, you should start rejoicing and rejoice now! Because the weight of the world is really not on your shoulders, you don’t have to have all the answers so you can be free of all your needless worry and thought!

Once you’ve accepted that fact, you’re ready to let all that responsibility go and use your mind for the purpose for which it was intended: to think, but within reason. When you encounter a problem, you should always pray. And you can give it some thought. You can ponder for a while why it happened, what it meant to you, what you learned from it and decide whether or not you can do something about it. If you can do something about it, do it. If you cannot, then pray some more about it, then let it go (to God)! Then move on with your life. And don’t be discouraged if that same problem re-appears – this ‘letting go’ process might be ongoing - until you get the hang of it. If a problem re-appears in your mind, let it go again and then STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. And the best way to stop thinking about something is to start thinking about something else.

So think about the good things in your life. Think about the things for which you are grateful. Allow your thoughts to wander to some of the more pleasant experiences of your life. Thank God for those moments and then recall them in detail. Linger over each moment, savoring it as if it just happened. Now take a look around you right now. What do you have to be happy about right now? It may take a minute of thinking, but then you might recall that, while you are not happy with your job, it’s kept you in Gucci and Prada, so it’s a good thing that your bills are being paid. Or you can recall your gratitude that your parents still take such an interest in your life (instead of complaining that they call way too much). Or you can think about how you woke up this morning and that migraine you were battling last night finally went away. Or, you can find contentment in the fact that, though your problems still exist, you are here another day to get it right, make amends or make it better. And how great that is.

So stop over-thinking! Think something through once, not twice, three times or all night long. Move on with your life and allow the beauty of it all make those problems, situations or circumstances just fade into the background.

And trust in God for all things....



, , , , ,

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this. Praise God that he brought me to your blog - it saved my day.

Unknown said...

good article,keep on writing.
Bibek

Anonymous said...

I am battling through bad memories of my past and it's killing me now. Thanks for this .. i just have to keep on going without worrying. Praise God he lives! and he never fails.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking a lot about a certain aspect of my life and although I already know that I should think positive and be Thankful for all the things in my life, it does help to read it and hear it from someone else. So thanks.

Sam said...

Yes, many of us have this problem.
I'm going to try what you suggest and then I'll let you know if it worked for me or not.
My brain really needs rest at least at night.
Regards!

Anonymous said...

Great Article, It helped

bryantjseven said...

My issue of overthinking is a little different from norm. My frustrations of overthinking is not from worrying or stress related problem solving, but in studying and meditating on God's Word. I read, meditate, and recieve great depth of a scriputure, which leads me to other scriptures and more depth. This process can get so intense for me, I've spent numerous hours in isolation, irriated by any distractions even of my wife. Then, what I originally recieved as depth of knowledge, becomes to vast in depth and seems to have no grounding. So I induldge more and more to comprehend, but get more irratated. I thought meditating in His Word was to be refreshing, and a renewing to my mind, but it becomes opposite. Now, I feel like just only recieving what I hear on Sundays and studying no further. But I desire so much in spending time in His Word.

brainer said...

Man, I think I know where you are. You must focus on other things, definitely. At completely different area, nothing connected with spirituality, God and so on ...
This is not evil advice. I know that it is painful to abandon God for time but I know that these all scriptures and all these things are creating big mess in our heads (people which are too motivated and who want God and heaven more than anyone other). It is as kind of addiction which must be cut off for time and then you will see. Maybe you shouldnt go to church for time to provoke not your thinking.

Sonya Triggs-Wharton said...

brainer:

Thanks for the advice, but I consider my spiritual thinking to be the most helpful. I find that it is one of the positive things I focus on when the cares of the world become too overwhelming. Thinking of God and His goodness is definitely more of a help than a hindrance.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Anonymous said...

I can't stop thinking about how you would tell me not to think about this. This being the fact that i cant stop thinking about how you would tell me not to think about this. Maybe I should just move on like Satan.

bryantjseven said...

Thanks brainer,

I haven't stop focusing on the Lord, but am learning to take breaks from intense meditation. I'm learning to study, and then allowing God time to clarify and reveal things through random experiences, signs, and converstations, instead of trying to overwhelm myself by getting immediate answers from him. Just letting them be revealed to me in his time.

Anonymous said...

Great article! That's just what I needed to read right now.

Anonymous said...

can you help me to stop thinking of eyes please

Anonymous said...

thanks alot im going to try to do it ! i hope it helps thanks and praise jesus<3

Anonymous said...

Nice...

Anonymous said...

wow u don't know how much that helped me. I've been over thinking everything lately, good and bad, and it's killing me from within. i really hope this helps and i have a feeling it will. ~God bless u~

Anonymous said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about everything possible. i am going into ninth grade and I should be having fun, not worrying about tons of stupid stuff. And I know, that this article is really gonna help me..thank you so much, and god bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hi i have been over thinking of practically nothing and it's killing me from within. Often times my mind is just lost to nowhere. Iam thinking that i'm loosing hair because of this. I have been trying to think on the good things that i have and praying constantly to ease the pain of over thinking. I really need help. I want to stop over thinking but i can't.

Anonymous said...

Hi i have been over thinking of practically nothing and it's killing me from within. Often times my mind is just lost to nowhere. Iam thinking that i'm loosing hair because of this. I have been trying to think on the good things that i have and praying constantly to ease the pain of over thinking. I really need help. I want to stop over thinking but i can't.

hopeless7539@hotmail.com

VivekTechWorld said...

Thanks
You really wrote an excellent article.

Anonymous said...

u say that - think about your good thinks but........ i had no good thing in my past. sometime i felt i am useless , meaning less.. sir please help me.. my mind is not with me,,

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this article - it really made my day. Thank God also, for always being there!

Anonymous said...

Hi... i cannot express my feelings in words.Its like turning point of my life.Thanks you again.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much :) God Bless :) I am currently in a ... approx 2+ week battle over horrible thoughts, and this helped. PRAISE THE LORD <33

Anonymous said...

thanx, i think alot about my partner's ex and i'm so insecure to the extent that i'm going crazy but he assured me they can't be together but can't help it.

kevin said...

wow! i was goin through this & i jus read this article right now & oh wow! god has lifted a spirt off of mee & has brought me down to the beauty of everything! praise god! this has changed my life forever!! thank you jesus!! =DDD on to the beautiful journey "life"!

Anonymous said...

oh thank u so much this helped a lot.

Mohit said...

i also have the same problem.
thanks for your help.
also i would like to add so i may help others.the best thing that keeps me going is that " i and mostly all of u are able to think those things which others can not".
so my advice would be to take it as a blessing and DO WHATEVER U THINK ON THE FIRST GO, rather than thinking about the outcome.
GoD bless all

help me said...

i need help its killing me im always overthinknig about one thing..one day it came in my thoughts and i can't get rid of it its about me being a priest but there is a problem i don't want to be a *****n priest,i belive in God and go to Church but i can't and i won't be a priest and when i think about that i get depresed..i just want to get my life back nothing else please help me email me on wpwotwoms@hotmail.com

Nicole said...

This is a very good article..I think wAy to much about life..lately when Im alone at home not with my boyfriend,, I can fall asleep.I feel sick to my stomach...I always pray to god to help me.... I'm hoping one day this anxiety worry life will go away. I wanna be happy;,I'm happy but I think to
much an it brings me down...I'm afraid to do things..idk y,,but I do...god pls help me <3

Nicole said...

Can't

Unknown said...

I love your blog it's on my favorites!!
keep blogging

Tyrone said...

I appreciate the blog.

Unknown said...

Train the mind to catch the thought during its inception...this will prevent unnecessary analysis. It is not the thought that drains us it is the unnecessary analysis which leads to paralysis.

Unknown said...

Who by worrying could add an inch to his height....one of my favorite Jesus sayings. it is necessary to meditate on the word of God that speaks about those particular challenges we face and periodically remind ourselves and meditate on them. Worrying and fear is not from God. if God is with us then who is against us. The Lord is my shepherd and who shall I fear.

Anonymous said...

I just tried your method and through the grace of God it truly works!!! I feel so much better now for my heavy burden of stress has washed away:-))). Amen

Anonymous said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much.
I also found this:
Worry is the sin of distrusting the promise and providence of God and yet it is a sin that Christians commit perhaps more frequently than any other. - John MacArthur

I hereby admit to sinning when over-thinking. It is a lack of trust in God.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I QUIT with this dreadful habit.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this article.

Gary White said...

Why do i overthink everything ?
How to Stop Overthinking Everything

Unknown said...

Thank you so much,this article has brought light into my dark tunnel. I have been having a problem of over thinking for the past 8 years, I basically just created an imaginary world in my mind and it nearly drove me crazy. I experienced severe headaches and it wasn't easy. Prayer is busy helping and with additional blogs as
this one. Thank you so much.